• 2 chicken breasts
• 1 cup whole milk ricotta cheese
• 1 egg
• Total of 3 teaspoons Italian seasoning, divided
• 2 cloves crushed garlic
• ½ teaspoon salt
• Total of 2 cups shredded mozzarella, divided
• 1 cup marinara sauce
• Additional Salt and Pepper, to taste
1. Butterfly cut the boneless chicken breasts and place into a lightly greased baking dish.
2. In a small mixing bowl, stir together ricotta cheese, egg, 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning, garlic, salt, and 1 cup mozzarella cheese.
3. Spoon about ¼ cup of sauce onto one half of each chicken breast. Spread ricotta mixture on top of the sauce and fold chicken breasts over to close.
5. Drizzle the remaining 3/4 cup of marinara sauce over chicken. Top with the remaining last cup of mozzarella cheese. Sprinkle with the remaining 1 teaspoon of Italian seasoning and season with salt and pepper.
7. Bake in a 400 degree oven for 25-30 minutes, until chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.
Serves 2 to 4
Excellent to serve with a side order of any of your favorite salads.